Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Gone With the Wind

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

The novel, “Gone with the Wind” was written in 1936 by Margaret Mitchell and was one of the most popular novels. The book is about a young southern bell named Scarlett O’Hara and her experiences involving the south during the civil war. The book was such a success that a film adaptation was to be released three years later in 1939. The film “Gone with the Wind” would go on to be known as an American classic. “Gone with the Wind” is also an important film from a racial point of view as well, as it was the first movie where a black actor or actress (Hattie McDaniel) was nominated, and won the academy award (best supporting actress). The film would also go on to win a number of other awards that year, including best picture.


2)  Find a related article and summarize the content.


“It fascinated audiences to see her high-wire defiance in a male chauvinist world, but eventually such behavior had to be punished, and that is what “Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn” is all about. If “GWTW” had ended with Scarlett's unquestioned triumph, it might not have been nearly as successful. Its original audiences wanted to see her swatted down--even though, of course, tomorrow would be another day.”

In Roger Ebert’s article on “Gone with the Wind” he discusses Scarlet’s, take charge (and slightly arrogant) attitude.  He goes on to point out how Rhett’s famous line “Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn” is so powerful. According to Ebert, Rhett punishes her for her defiant ways during the entire movie. When Rhett says this to scarlet, it is one of the few times she is denied what she wants in the movie.

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.

After reading the article I came to agree with Ebert. Rhett’s last comment he says to Scarlett in a way teaches her a lesson. I found that during the movie Scarlett’s character showed a lot of maturing, but at the same time, she also acted immature at times, like when she repeatedly threw herself at Ashley. At the last part of the movie, she throws herself at Rhett having only just realizing her love for him, In a way it seems like it’s what Scarlett deserves after never returning Rhett’s love after all he did for her.


4) Write a critical analysis of the film


“Gone with the Wind” is thought to be the American classic, and for good reason. The story telling is top notch and the performances given by actors such as, Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh and Hattie McDaniel are nothing short of outstanding. If I were a fan of Margaret Mitchell novel in 1936, the film adaptation surely would have satisfied me as it did for the American public in 1939. 


CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM

1) ( x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) ( x ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) ( x ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) ( x ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) ( x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) ( x ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) ( x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) ( x ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.


Name: Robert Moroz_____________________________  Date: 11/6/2013____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment